Consumer Rights Law Firm Serving Clients in Chicago, Illinois, and Nationwide
Having your identity stolen can make it harder to secure a loan, interfere with job prospects, make buying a home or vehicle impossible, prevent you from getting credit cards, and cause insurance rates to rise. Here are five simple and effective ways to protect yourself against identity theft:
- Manage your passwords. Create strong passwords for your online accounts. Do not use the same password for multiple accounts. Never use your email password for banking and change all passwords every 30 to 60 days.
- Secure your important documents. Keep hard copies of financial documents safe. Do not throw sensitive financial documents in the trash. Shred anything that includes social security numbers, account numbers, or other personally identifying information.
- Check your credit report often. Look at Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion at least every six months to see if suspicious activity has occurred. If you notice things on your credit report that you suspect indicate fraud, contact our Chicago consumer protection attorneys immediately.
- Safeguard your mobile devices. If you use mobile devices for banking or similar uses, be sure to install security software and check for updates regularly. Avoid banking or completing transactions on public Wi-Fi.
- Do not answer suspicious emails. If you do not know a sender, do not open the email. If the contents of an email seem unusual or make requests for personal information, delete it right away.
Schedule a Free Identity Theft Case Evaluation
The consumer protection lawyers at Markoff Leinberger understand how overwhelming it can be to realize you have had your identity stolen. We are prepared to investigate your case, identify corporate negligence or other sources of breach, and even work to identify the person or people who stole your identity. We can also assist in simplifying the process of restoring your identity and recovering from the potentially long-term consequences of this crime.
If you need assistance following identity theft, please call 312-726-4162 to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can help. We serve clients in Chicago, Illinois, and nationwide.