Consumer Rights Law Firm Serving Clients in Chicago, Illinois, and Nationwide
Your landlord obviously exerts a tremendous amount of influence in your life. When your landlord is violating your rights as a tenant, he or she can make your life far more difficult than it should be. The consumer rights lawyers at Markoff Leinberger can stand up for your rights as a Chicago-area tenant.
Our consumer rights lawyers have decades of experience with security deposit disputes and other landlord issues, so we understand how to protect you.
Tenants in Chicago are protected by the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance. Your responsibilities as a tenant are also laid out in that document. Under the RLTO, your rights include:
- Getting a receipt for your security deposit
- A safe, habitable living environment maintained by your landlord
- 30 days notice if your landlord is not renewing your lease
- A return of the security deposit within 45 days after you move out
- Complete transparency in the formula used to determine how building-wide utility bills are divided amongst residents
Should a landlord violate any of these rights, you are allowed certain remedies under the law. Our consumer rights lawyers can help you attempt to:
- Get out of your lease early
- Reduce your rent payments
- Make the repairs yourself and deduct the costs from your rent payments
Don’t let yourself be victimized by unethical landlords. The city of Chicago and state of Illinois provide you with rights as a tenant, and our consumer rights lawyers will fight passionately to defend them.
If you’re a renter in Chicago, Illinois and you need an experienced consumer rights lawyer to help with a landlord dispute, please contact Markoff Leinberger today for a free consultation.