The Chicago consumer fraud lawyers at Markoff Leinberger took note of a recent article from the Economic Policy Institute in Washington, D.C. that called out corporations for rampant wage theft, which includes overtime violations. The think tank said this particular unfair business practice is costing Americans billions of dollars each year.
Some of the wage theft statistics cited in the article include:
- In a study that surveyed New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, researchers determined that roughly $3 billion a year is lost to wage theft.
- One any given week, two-thirds of workers in low-wage industries experience at last one pay violation.
- The average loss per minimum-wage worker from wage theft over the course of a year is more than $2,600.
- Wage theft is costing American workers more than $50 billion a year.
- That figure is significantly lower than what the FBI determined was lost to robbery, burglary, car theft or larceny in 2012, which was $14 billion.
If you believe that you have been unfairly and perhaps systematically denied employment wages or benefits, please contact the Chicago fraud lawyers at Markoff Leinberger online or call 1 (888) 517-9115 to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced consumer rights attorneys.