The Chicago credit reporting lawyers at Markoff Leinberger help individuals who have suffered damages due to credit reporting issues. We can help you resolve these disputes.
The Fair Credit Reporting Act was enacted to protect the rights of consumers when dealing with credit reporting agencies. Credit reporting agencies such as Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion keep detailed records on your bill-paying habits and whether you have filed for bankruptcy.
This page will provide you with some basic information regarding credit reporting disputes, but it cannot advise you about your specific case. The best way to learn about your rights is to speak with one of our credit reporting lawyers. Please call 1-877-905-5161 today to schedule your free consultation.
Your Credit Reporting Rights
The Fair Credit Reporting Act provides people who are in debt with the following rights:
- You have the right to request that credit reporting agencies correct any inaccurate information on your credit report.
- You have the right to submit a written statement that will be included with your credit information if the dispute is not resolved to your satisfaction.
- In most instances, credit reporting agencies can only report negative information about you dating back 7 years.
- Your credit report can only be made available to parties who may need to assess your creditworthiness as part of a potential future transaction with you.
- Employers must have your written permission to gain access to your credit report.
- You have the right to sue credit reporting agencies and creditors who provide inaccurate information to these agencies if they fail to correct disputed errors.
- You may receive damages of up to $1,000. In some instances, you may also be able to recover punitive damages and actual damages.
- Consumers have additional protections through the Credit Repair Organizations Act of 1996.
What Do I Do If I'm Facing a Credit Reporting Error?
If you have been the victim of a credit reporting error, the attorneys at Markoff Leinberger can help make sure your rights are protected. We have represented clients in cases relating to false information on credit reports. We can use the Fair Credit Reporting Act to remove incorrect information from your credit report and recover compensation for damages you suffered as a result of these errors.
We can handle credit reporting error cases, including claims involving:
- Inaccurate entries – These include errors associated with misreported information, such as a listing a judgment in your favor as a judgment against you, reporting a settled debt as unpaid, incorrectly including a debt as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, listing a debt paid on time as late, listing the wrong amount for an outstanding debt, or listing a creditor who you do not have.
- Mixed credit files – This occurs when your credit file is mixed with the file of a person with a similar name or Social Security number. This creates a false record which can negatively impact your credit score if the other person has damaging information on their credit report.
- Out-of-date entries – Most negative entries on your credit report must be removed after 7 years.
Please call 1-877-905-5161 or contact Markoff Leinberger online today to schedule your free initial consultation. We serve clients in Chicago, Illinois, the Midwest, and nationwide.